Donald Birrell, a passionately keen angler who became the first long-term Hon Secretary of the newly-established Essex Fly Fishers’ Club in 1966, recently donated all his fishing tackle to be sold for the benefit of the club.
Now in his 90s, Donald said that after half a century of club membership, he has no plans to fish again, and would like his cherished EFFC to profit from his rods, reels and tackle. These are listed below..
- Hardy “Gold Medal Rod” Palakona split cane rod (1943 vintage)
- early Hardy split cane rod – (rare 1914 vintage)
- Hardy “The St. George” 3 inch reel + extra spool (rare early-1950s)
- Trout reel + spool (no manufacturer’s mark)
- folding landing net
- fishing bag
- fishing flies , c.300, in flyboxes
- miscellaneous items, spools of nylon, tools etc
These items were on all on view in our recent Open Day – giving members and guests alike the opportunity to closely inspect them prior to their being offered for sale to others.
These attracted much interest – both the smaller items and those which will in most probability be snapped up by serious collectors of vintage fishing tackle.
(If you are interested in finding out more about the Hardy rods, reels and assorted tackle, please contact email@example.com for more details, or to make an offer.)